Friday 13 February 2015

Hecklers and Homophobia

Last night's gig was...shall we say eventful?

Firstly, during my set itself, I had a nice back-and-forth exchange with two guys in the front row. One of them was a bald heterosexual man called Dom, but he initially said his name was Jon - for no discernible reason. I renamed him Daisy. I went on to have an odd flirtatious chat with him - all for comedic effect, of course - in which he at one point joked "shall we just go to the toilets now?", implying we would have homosexual relations. It was all funny and light-hearted, and it made me think "ah, it's always nice when people are carefree and rational enough to be comfortable with their own sexuality to joke about things like this".


After the gig, his mate came into the green room and apologised for heckling, to which I said it wasn't needed as an apology, because they were friendly and helpful heckles. We then - along with a comedian friend of mine who also performed - chatted for a good hour or so, and he said that he used to be in the army. He told me he'd had to return fire at people in Afghanistan, jump out of planes, and that his best mate died in his arms. He then went on to say "I could never do what you do", insisting it was "a different kind of bravery". I am struggling to get my head around it, to be frank. I've never been more proud of the fact that I do stand-up, though.

At this point, I will reveal the fact that the other comedian was a gay man. This shouldn't be something I need to reveal, but sadly it was.

My comedian friend offered myself and the army man a lift to the train station, which we kindly accepted. The army man went up to his mate and said he was getting a lift with us, to which his mate said "careful! They might bum ya!", before looking over at us and saying "No offense." Then, as we were leaving through the door, he shouted "remember to spit on it first!" He then called the guy up twice in 30 mins to check he was alright, both times implying nasty things. I'm not entirely sure what he said, but his mate had to respond "no, they were just two nice guys", and "yes, I'm safe and sound".


Firstly, saying "they might bum you" about non-heterosexual people, while talking to your heterosexual friend, is not something you can simply say "no offense" about. You have just implied that you think that any man who is interested in other men is therefore likely to rape every man he sees, which I think one would be quite within their right to take offense over. Secondly, I wouldn't have a problem with someone calling up a friend if they were getting a lift with a stranger, far from it. It's the fact it was more than that. It's the fact that I am certain, considering the guy phoned up twice asking if his friend was alright in such a short space of time - and the responses his friend gave - that it was something worse than that. What made it all the more confusing was I had earlier thought this man was clearly a tolerant and open-minded individual - he had been willing to joke about the idea of himself being gay, after all - but it turned out that he was the type of person who genuinely believes that non-heterosexual men can't be trusted, and are a real threat.

This is, sadly, not a new thing. They are many cases of straight men being scared of non-straight men; phrases like "keep your backs to the wall" and "don't drop the soap" are ones that most people will have heard. But I had never before come across a man who was happy to joke about the concept, but actually had deep-rooted homophobic tendencies. It's more than a little disconcerting.

Aside from this, it was a nice gig. It was at a pub called The Unicorn, too, which is an awesome pub name. Also, seriously: what kind of homophobe says to his mates with a straight face "anyone fancy a pint down The Unicorn tonight?" A stupid* one.

*All homophobes.

Thanks for reading,


Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most viewed blogs over the last 30 days